Bloody Shiraz Gin
Four Pillars Distillery is in Melbourne’s Yarra Valley, beautiful cool climate wine country. We’d have to be crazy not to take advantage of it.
So back in 2015 that’s what we did. We were happily making gin out the back of our mate Rob Dolan’s winery, and in late April a tiny parcel of Shiraz came in from one of the region’s best vineyards. Rob wasn’t sure what to do with it, so we took it off his hands – perhaps without his knowledge…
It seemed perfectly obvious to Cam Mackenzie that we should steep these grapes in Rare Dry Gin to see what happened.
The result was alcoholic alchemy… the juice turned a magical purple colour and found a sweetness straight from the ripe grapes.
So now each year we take local Shiraz fruit, steep the whole berries in high-proof gin for eight weeks before pressing. The colour remains a deep, rich, reddish purple. Aromatically it shows fresh pine needles, citrus and spice, and distinct peppery, dense raspberry notes. The palate is lovely and sweet with a long juniper and spice character on the finish.
A super-simple refresher balances sweet Bloody Shiraz Gin with tart bitter lemon tonic.
- 45mL Bloody Shiraz Gin
- 100mL bitter lemon or lemon tonic
- Ruby grapefruit
- Add gin and mixer to a rocks glass over ice
- Garnish with wedge of grapefruit
Bloody Shiraz Gin, grapefruit and bubbles come together to create a gorgeously pink party starter.
- 30mL Bloody Shiraz Gin
- 30mL ruby grapefruit juice
- Sparkling wine
- Add Bloody Shiraz Gin and juice to a Champagne flute
- Top with sparkling wine
A bloody twist on the classic tall, lemony and refreshing Tom Collins.
- 30mL Rare Dry Gin
- 100mL old-fashioned lemonade
- 15mL Bloody Shiraz Gin
- Mix gin and lemonade in a highball over ice
- Squeeze in two wedges of lemon
- Float Bloody Shiraz Gin on top
A delicious balance of sweet fruit, bitter Campari and lemon with an intensely beautiful colour.
- 20mL Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz Gin
- 20mL Campari
- 20mL dry curacao (or any other orange liqueur, such as Cointreau)
- 20mL fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash of Regan’s Orange Bitters
- Add ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake and strain into a chilled coupette glass
- Garnish with a lemon twist