Award-Winning Gin Drinks*
(*Technically it’s the gins that are award-winning, but we think these gin drinks are pretty bloody good too.)
In the spirits world, there are a couple of shows that really get us excited. They’re the ones the world’s best gins enter, the ones the world’s best judges judge, and the ones where a good result makes us really bloody proud. So we’re absolutely thrilled to let you know that across two of these shows – the Spirits Business Gin Masters and the IWSC Spirits Awards – our gins have recently picked up a huge 17 medals!
While we love all of our gins equally, there are a few that deserve a special mention for their stellar efforts in the shows. Our Bloody Shiraz Gin was awarded a Gold medal by the IWSC and our Rare Dry Gin, Modern Australian Gin and Navy Strength Gin were awarded a Master (similar to a trophy or Double Gold) at the Gin Masters. And here’s something extra special; this is the sixth time in seven years that Navy Strength has taken home a Master.
But it’s no fun to just talk about the gins, we prefer to drink them and we think you might like that too. So we asked our Creative Director of Gin Drinks, James Irivine to share a few of his favourite recipes using these award-winning gins and he has delivered. Whether you’re in the mood for a refreshing Ginger Mule or a warming Hot Gin Toddy, now is the time for you to stop reading and start pouring.
Cheers friends, and enjoy!
HOT GIN TODDY
- 45mL Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin
- 100mL hot water
- 20mL fresh lemon juice
- 15mL honey
- A 20 cent piece size of ginger
- Warm a mug with boiling water, once ready, discard water
- Build ingredients starting with honey to ensure consistency
- Garnish with a lemon wheel (and if you’re feeling a little fancy, add winter spices of your choosing)
- 50mL Four Pillars Modern Australian Gin
- 20mL sweet Vermouth
- 5mL Muscat (or other fortified wines or liqueurs you have at home like Port, Sherry, or flavoured Brandy)
- Stir ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass
- Garnish with an orange twist
- 30mL Four Pillars Navy Strength Gin
- 100mL StrangeLove Hot Ginger Beer
- 2 dashes Angostura Aromatic bitters
- 15mL fresh lime juice
- Build in a rocks glass over ice
- Garnish with a few sprigs of mint
- 30mL Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz Gin
- 30mL Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin
- 20mL fresh ruby red grapefruit juice
- 10mL fresh lemon juice
- 10mL Crème de Mure (or use sugar syrup)
- A dash of egg white
- Shake ingredients over ice and fine strain into a chilled cocktail glass